We Need Volunteer Coaches! Coaches are at the heart of the AYSO organization.
In AYSO, Positive Coaching is a fundamental philosophy because of the crucial role that a coach has. Coaching in AYSO is a chance to spend quality time with your own child, but you’ll also provide an important role model for all the children on your team. Soccer knowledge is a plus, but AYSO provides training and materials so that even a soccer novice can coach effectively by starting in the younger age divisions. Being a coach involves skills you probably already have, in addition to specific soccer knowledge. If you are uncertain, try being an assistant coach.
WE NEED YOU.
Your Region’s Coach Administrator will be happy to try to match you up with somebody with a little more experience. If you have any questions, please email your Region’s Coach Administrator by clicking HERE!
Coach Registration/Training Requirements
Every coach is required to get, at a minimum, the following training/certification for the division they are coaching every year:
- Volunteer Registration and Background Check
- Safe Haven
- CDC Concussion Awareness
- Rules of the Game
You will also need to attend the Coaches Meeting August 25th to get your team assignments and equipment. The training requirements will need to be done before the coaches meeting.
Practice Session Minimum Duration/Commitment
3 Contacts A Week
- 15U divisions – 2 training sessions per week for 1½ hours – 1 game per week – Travel Team
- 13U divisions – 2 training sessions per week for 1 hour – 1 game per week -Travel Team
- 11U divisions – 2 training sessions per week for 1 hour – 1 or 2 games per week
- 11U will have Midweek games, consider your game a contact
Many coaches schedule training sessions for 1½ hours per session to include the time for breaks and late arrivals.
2 Contacts A Week
- 9U divisions – 1 training sessions per week for 1 hour -1 game per week
- 7U divisions – 1 training sessions 45min – 1 game per week
- School Yard division – 1 training session/game per week (Saturday)
Practice Locations and Times Sign Up – Coming Soon
There are multitudes of websites and videos to help you with your coaching, such as aysotraining.org A few tips:
- Each practice should always have a theme. Having a theme will help you refocus when mayhem has taken over. Your first practice theme should be “this is our team and this is how we do things.”
- Skill and Drill. Teach a skill for about 5-10 min. Then make a drill to reinforce the skill and try to tie it into real game scenarios.
- Try to incorporate the two aspects of soccer play into each practice.
- Individual Skills – Dribbling, Shooting, etc.
- Team Skills – Passing, Spacing, Give and Go, Positions, etc.
- Keep each Skill/Drill to 15-20 min
- Shots on Goal. Every practice should have a goal shooting game or drill. Hopefully, that drill will fall into the practice theme.
- Run, Run, Run. Water, Water, Water.